Join us every week in our trip Down the Rabbit Hole!
Don’t forget to subscribe, rate us and share your comments with us!
Episode 007 – Gaia (Science part)
Gaia, Mother Earth. In this episode we go through the science of this topic and we start revisiting the concepts and theories established by James Lovelock. (Rafael also had a mild cold… not that you needed to know this anyway…)
The main idea is that the biosphere of the earth behaves like a living organism and always tries to maintain a state of homoeostasis, which means trying to stay In balance similar to a giant cell.
Lovelock also stated that Earth’s atmosphere is different because it has life on it, and mostly is thanks to the process of photosynthesis.
After discussing Lovelock, we move on to some proposed Geo-engineering schemes. The most common “hacks” proposed are:
- Planting Forests.
- Spraying sulfuric acid into the stratosphere.
- Dumping iron in the ocean.
- Space mirrors.
- Brightening the clouds.
- Industrial-scale carbon dioxide scrubbers.
We discuss the Idea and the Catch to each proposal.
Don’t forget to leave us a review, comment, rate us on itunes, let us know if you have other book recommendations, movies, articles, etc. We would like to hear from you!.
- The Gaia hypothesis
- Movie: Darwin’s Nightmare
- Hacking the Planet: Geoengeneering
- Geoengineering Schemes
- Gaia : A New Look at Life on Earth – James Lovelock
- The Deniers – Lawrence Solomon
- The Weather Makers : Our Changing Climate and What it Means for Life on Earth – Tim Flannery
- Ten Technologies to Fix Energy and Climate – Chris Goodall